Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year in Review - 2009

Well, I suppose this is the time to reflect on the past year. What a year it has been. Here are some of the major points.

I started off the year newly unemployed because the library couldn't extend my internship any longer and I didn't get the cataloging job I applied for in November. I used my unemployment time to finish up my grad school applications, celebrate David Bowie's birthday, and watch movies with Lindsey (who was also newly unemployed). By about halfway through the month, Lin had decided to move back to Maryland, and I had acquired a lovely $8/hour job at Five Star Painting. It wasn't much money, but it was full time, and I enjoyed working there.
Before Lindsey left, my friend Kinsey took some roommate pictures of us for her portfolio. Here is my favorite:



Also in January, my adorable nephew Finn was born. Here he is:



Aw. What a sweetie.

Other events of January according to what I blogged: Obama's inauguration with Aretha Franklin's giant hat, I got Lisa Hannigan's lovely album, Sea Sew, and I finally went to Sundance.

In February I turned 23, Maddux agreed to be my Valentine, we got a piano in our apartment, I got accepted to the University of Michigan, I went to see Andrew Bird in concert, I fell in love with the creepy movie He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, and I came one step closer to perfecting a Valentine's Day playlist. (Incidentally, I think I spent Valentine's Day itself watching Lawrence of Arabia with Tiffany at International Cinema. Oh, how I love that movie.)

In March the biggest thing that happened was that I went to Ann Arbor to check out the SLIS program there, and it was a giant reality check. I realized that I wasn't going to get any funding, and that $16,000 per semester wasn't a good idea. I started exploring other options and caught the first wind of my current roommates via Julie and Drew. (I think I was actually accepted to IU the day I flew to Michigan.) Either way, the trip to Ann Arbor was a blast, and I got to take a fun trip to Canada with Katherine to see Tom Stoppard's Travesties. I also was introduced to some amazing videos  on that trip. Also in March, James and Amanda got engaged - and I took full credit, since I introduced them. Right at the end of March I got in my lovely car accident on a slushy morning, and I spent the rest of that day at home watching The Usual Suspects and trying to avoid going into shock by eating lots of popcorn.

In April I sold my contract and got another job, so I quit Five Star Painting, moved home and started working with Clark at OverstockDrugstore.com. I also started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which changed my life. (Wow, was April really that uneventful?)

In May, Jennie got married, I made the official decision to head to Bloomington instead of Ann Arbor, I made some playlists, and I went to work a lot. Emily started coming up for movie-watching parties so that she could get out of Provo and I could have a social life. Whitney started dating her now-husband Matt. I was petulant about my new singles' ward.

In June, my family finally got rid of dialup Internet. Also, it rained a lot and people talked about swine flu.

In July, my brother Ty got married, I took a brief trip to Cedar City with Whitney, and I got to live by myself for two weeks while my parents went on vacation (which meant I watched three seasons of Buffy and made myself lots of good food). Michael Jackson and half of Hollywood died, and I hardly blogged at all because I didn't want to be at the computer after working all day.

In August there was a visit to Cedar City and a visit from Treb, but what mostly happened was I packed and panicked for the big move, and I spent a lot of time visiting people. The move involved a three day drive with my dad (mostly lecture-free thanks to Clark) and then a night of pure panic when I got there. However, after a few days, I settled in and discovered that good roommates, interesting classes, a welcoming branch and bunnies make up for a lot of homesickness.

September involved lots of adjusting, a karaoke night for Ann's birthday, a funny story about getting asked out by the carpet guy, lots of movie nights in the park, and a facebook miracle involving Brandi Carlile and an old friend.

October was an amazing month of pumpkin foods, scary movies and three Halloween costumes. Bonus: a trip to Ohio and Rayla's baptism.

In November, I did a lot of crossword puzzles, but the main event was Thanksgiving. Jill and I pulled off a Thanksgiving miracle that I will never forget, and it was wonderful.
I've spent most of this month at home, although I did get to sing in the mall and finish up some projects. Home has been lovely, full of lots of visits with family and friends, some good movies, Whitney's wedding, Anna Karenina, a blind date who ended up being the younger brother of a girl who once went to a dance with one of my brothers, and today a continuation of my long-standing New Year's Eve party, now going on eight years. I can't believe we're still coming together after all this time, but we are and I love it. Also, I've spent the last week or so listening to a lot of a band called Noah and the Whale, and I think I'm in love with them. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to this song in the last week:



"This is a song for anyone with a broken heart. This is a song for anyone who can't get out of bed. I'll do anything to be happy." I love it.

Anyway, it's been a crazy year, but it ended up being good in spite of some really terrifying transitions. I never would have expected to finish it off in with half of my stuff in Indiana, but I like the way things turned out, and I'm excited to see what the next year brings.

I thought this post was going to turn out differently, with a shorter summary of the year and then some lists of favorite musics and movies and such, but I think that might have to wait until tomorrow or next year. Happy last day of the decade!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for Anna Karenina! And for 2009!

emilymcb said...

I love the song. And I love you :)

grburbank said...

Sometimes it's hard to remember what we've read which is why we keep lists, or remember what we've done which is perhaps why we blog. Anyway, it looks like it was a very full 2009 for you. Now I need to go back and reread my blog for 2009. Have a very lovely 2010.

With the snow thing, maybe you just need to try exposure therapy. Do they not have snow in Indiana?