Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Some Christmas Songs

As much as I love the traditional Christmas songs of my youth, I always like finding some less traditional holiday songs to give me a break from Donny Osmond singing "Mary Did You Know?" (I'm sorry, but this is one of my least favorite Christmas songs ever, mostly because it gets so overplayed on FM100 AND it's quite a repetitive song anyway. But I digress.)
In any case, it's been a couple of years since I posted a Christmas list, so even if there are some repeats I'm going to post again.


  • "Silent Night" as sung by Lisa Hannigan. Okay, perhaps it isn't too Christmasy with the modified lyrics, but it's still awesome. The a cappella followed by the simple cello in the background - it's just crazy beautiful. Besides, it's much less freaky than Simon and Garfunkle's "7 O'Clock News/ Silent Night."
  • "The Friendly Beasts" sung by Sufjan Stevens. Sufjan's Christmas albums are insane. There are so many. But I particularly love this song because it isn't recorded as often (in fact, I don't think I'd ever heard it until I heard Brian Stokes Mitchell sing it at last year's Tabernacle Choir concert, which was delightful as well.) I also love his version of "O Come O Come Emmanuel" from volume 1 of the anthology. (He does it three times, so I feel the need to clarify.) 
  • "Christmas" by Blues Traveler. I have loved this song since I first heard it back in junior high, especially the bit where they lay "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" on top. 
  • "The Heartache Can Wait" by Brandi Carlile. This is one of my most listened to Christmas songs this year because it's SO PRETTY. The basic gist is, "I know you're thinking about leaving me, but we've got one last chance, and even if it doesn't work, let's wait until after Christmas to break up. But maybe Christmas will save our relationship." But it's all pretty and poetic. :) 
  • "I Saw Three Ships" sung by Sting. Yes, I'm incredibly annoyed by Sting's current winter offering, but I love the drums and flute in this one. It's joyous and wonderful. By the way - versions of this song in my Christmas collection: six. 
  • "Christmas" by Rogue Wave. This is a more recent discovery, but it's simple and lovely. "I believe in love but how can men who've never seen light be enlightened?" 
  • "No Christmas for Me" by Zee Avi. One of those cheesy "It's not Christmas without you" songs, but I love the sound - and also, "The Christmas stockings are as empty as my heart." 
  • "The Man in the Santa Suit" by Fountains of Wayne. A song about the guy who dresses up as Santa at the mall because he really needs the money. I think it's a little deeper than "I Want an Alien for Christmas." But not much. (There is a terribly soulful version of this sung by Neil Halstead on the Brushfire Holiday album from last year, and I think it's also worth checking out. Just not as much as this one.)
  • "Believe in Me" by fun. I love that a) fun. gave this out for free and b) they managed to work in a plug for their album. ("I asked for fun and I got "Aim and Ignite.") It sounds very Beach Boys-esque - mostly in a good way. 
  • "Someday at Christmas" by Jack Johnson. Jack's lovely vision of a peaceful future when we finally understand what Christmas is all about. It's exactly what you'd expect from Jack, but it's nice. 
  • "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" sung by Mason Jennings. Because I love Mason Jennings and his swoopy hicka-shicka charm.
  • "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues. Who doesn't need a drunken Irish Christmas song? No one, that's who doesn't. 
  • "Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk this Christmas" by The Decemberists. See above. Only add accordion. And substitute "Cowboy" for "Irish." (Update: today I heard John Denver singing this song. I don't know if he wrote it or if it's older, but I definitely didn't know it was older than the Decemberists. Awesome.) 
  • "Frosty the Snowman" sung by Fiona Apple. It's fabulous, I promise. 
  • "2000 Miles" by the Pretenders. Courtesy of Lindsey. 
  • "Little Drummer Boy" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Okay, this one is more traditional, but it's Bowie. You can't leave Bowie out of a list like this. 
  • "Song for a Winter's Night" by Sarah McLaughlin. This song is unspeakably lovely. It makes me want to sit at my table by candlelight while it snows outside. 
  • "Winter Song" by Sarah Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. Beautiful harmonies, beautiful lyrics ("I'll be your harvester of light and send it out tonight.") 
  • "In the Deep Midwinter" sung by James Taylor. Okay, this is just a ridiculously wonderful arrangement of an already beautiful song. And unlike Sting or Bob Dylan, James doesn't make me mad as he progresses into old age and Christmas music. (Bob!! Say it ain't so Bob!!!)
  • "Jingle Bells" sung by the Barenaked Ladies. Mostly because they include the Batman smells portion of the lyrics. 
  • "Let There Be Peace on Earth" sung by Martin Sexton. I don't know why I love this so much - it's just him singing the song a capella at the end of Camp Holiday, but it's beautiful. 
  • "Christmas Song" by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. I really love this song. 
  • "Comfort and Joy" by Simon and Garfunkle. This is one of those lovely secrets of the Christmas world that everyone should know about. 
  • "The 12 Days of Christmas" sung by Relient K. "What's a partridge, and what's a pear tree? I don't know so please don't ask me. But I can bet those are terrible gifts to give." 
Obviously I'm not including all of my favorite Christmas stuff on this list, but you don't need anyone to direct you to Bing Crosby or to Harry Connick Jr.'s various Christmas albums, nor to Muppet Christmas Carol, nor to John Denver and the Muppets, nor to The Nutcracker, nor to the various wonderful Tabernacle Choir albums that I listen to obsessively all month. This is strictly for mixing up your Christmas playlist a bit. Please feel free to comment with your personal favorites.

13 comments:

Lin said...

You added my song! haha! I love your playlists.

Katherine said...

I haven't heard a lot of these, but I totally second "The Friendly Beasts" and "Winter Song."

Also, did you know Bob Dylan recently released a Christmas album? You should probably check out some of the sample clips on Amazon--"I'll Be Home for Christmas" makes me giggle to the point of crying every time I listen because it sounds more like a creepy threat than a heartfelt promise.

Meg said...

Hahaha. Yeah, that was why I mentioned him with Sting above. It made me cry inside and also giggle uncontrollably when I found out he was releasing one. Did you hear them making fun of it without mercy on Wait Wait? Seriously Bob. Now is not the time. Or ever.

Katherine said...

Oh, I missed the Bob reference, sorry. And NO, I did not hear the mocking on Wait Wait, but I think I must remedy that.

Meg said...

Clearly that's just proof that it only takes us one conversation every month and a half to stay on the same wavelength. And yeah, there were some fabulous Bob imitations and jokes about how scary he was and how people thought the CD was scratched and stuff. Really funny. I think it was a couple of months ago, but they did it on more than one show.

Trub said...

Every review I have read of the Dylan Christmas album thinks that it must really be an elaborate joke. All of us Dylan fans may be deluding ourselves, but I must believe this or I will hate Christmas for doing it to him.

Unlike you, I have heard enough Christmas songs in my life that I am now old, jaded, suspicious and humbuggy about the whole genre. I haven't listened to a single one this year that I haven't been force-fed by a retail loudspeaker.

Still, Mr. Zimmerman, say it ain't so. Or at least let us in on the joke.

grburbank said...

Great list. I have a few of these, and I'm excited to check more out. My favorite Christmas song ever is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" because it's so beautiful and sad--sad Christmas songs are the best!--and because it talks about friends and family and getting together around the holidays. When Tori Amos sings it, I cry.

"The Heartache Can Wait" is also my most-listened to Christmas song this year.

grburbank said...

P.S. I have loved "Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy" since I was young. Bing and Bowie together again.

Meg said...

Greg. I'm so glad you loved that song. I KNEW you would. Just just knew it.
Trub. Come on. I put THE POGUES on this list. Surely you can make an exception and listen to The Pogues.

Drew said...

Isn't it "But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get"? Anyway, interesting mix as always. I've heard of a lot more of these ones than from your previous lists. Have you heard the Coldplay version of 2000 Miles? I admit that I thought theirs was the original.

Trub said...

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, but that song may have been ruined for me by being forced to watch "P.S. I Love You". I will try to put it out of my head by yelling "We are Sparta!"

Meg said...

You may be right, Drew. I've always just heard give and didn't bother to check. Also, I HAVE the Coldplay version but had never heard it until you mentioned it. Thanks for the head's up!
Treb. P.S. I Love You? And you're letting it ruin The Pogues? [shakes head sadly.]

Hampers said...

Thanks for sharing the Christmas song. "In the Deep Midwinter" sung by James Taylor is my favourite. Have a wonderful Christmas.