So just now, some guys came over to clean our carpets. This is kind of a pain because it means I have to get things up off the ground and then stay off the carpet for awhile, which is inconvenient when I'm already doing laundry and trying to work and do homework. However, I was feeling pretty favorable toward them, because they came to warn me so I could get a few things up off the floor.
So they come back to clean, and the one guy is shampooing the carpet while the other guy keeps coming and talking to me while I'm making my Mac and Cheese (and trying to listen to Wait Wait, which he kept interrupting). So he's asking me questions (Do you watch Twilight? [reference to some Twilight magnets on the fridge] Are you into photography? [reference to some sepia postcards of Cambridge that I have in my room], etc.) and I'm being friendly but thinking it's kind of weird that he keeps hovering around.
So then they leave and I go downstairs to change my laundry a little while later. The other guy is smoking, so my buddy is chatting with me while I'm changing my laundry. Whatever, chat chat.
So then there's a knock on my door while I'm working on my Reference assignment, and he says, "That's for a good conversation," and hands me a piece of paper. "Texting is okay too," he adds, and then heads down the stairs.
The piece of paper has his phone number on it, and says, "Coupon for 1 free cup of coffee."
The reason I bring this up is because this kind of thing NEVER happens to me. I can only conclude that either, 1) most people don't get to see my room the first time they meet me, and my mad decorating and organizational skills got to him, or 2) the problem is just that most guys I meet don't drink coffee. Maybe I just have a face that BEGS to be asked out for coffee, and there's no market for it! What a waste of my natural talents!

11 comments:
Pretty much awesome. I would have to agree with both theories. The correlation between awesome organizing and awesome face is very strong.
Haha I agree. And guess what--you told me that a couple hours ago and the coffee thing only now registered. So I amend my previous response: Do it--and get hot chocolate!
i would recommend going to starbucks - they have a delish pumpkin spice thing out right now.
also - i think it's a fairly normal thing to do in the non-mormon world...give out your phone number to someone you just met i mean. they don't have church and institute and movie nights and all those other things associated with a singles ward.
also, maybe he did it because you are hott(t).
That is awesome. I feel for you though--it is indeed such a waste of natural talents! :D
Are you gonna call him?
The one time a guy asked for my number at a coffee shop, I considered it the fulfillment of a personal goal and told everyone about it. It then turned into the worst relationship of my life. So....not sure what I'd recommend. :) But it is a great story!!!!!
Yeah, not sure I'll actually call him. He already knows where I live (unavoidable) but I'm not sure I want a guy I know nothing about having my name and phone number. I do think Lindsey is right though. Rayla and I were talking last night about how there really is no equivalent to, "Let's go grab a cup of coffee" in Mormon culture. Even ice cream seems much more datish than a cup of coffee.
"Let's go gaze at the temple"? Does that count?
I love this story. That is all.
That is uber cute!!!! I love that he tried to play the obvious Twilight card. There must be a blog out there for single guys that says to mention Twilight because all girls love it. LOL Coffee, huh? some of us (and when I say us, I mean other) "Mormons," have worse things to overcome than that. At least, he was open and up front about it before you even went out with him. He could have asked if you drink people's blood or just animal's blood. LOL Was he cute? Does he like to read? Does he have a nice voice? you can text him from your email address. I can show you. LOL wait...what am I saying, don't talk to strangers, it's dangerous!
Post a Comment