Tuesday, September 8, 2009

And then my bereavement counsellor died. I didn't know who to turn to.

So here we are on the day after Labor Day (which was no holiday at all, since IU totally held classes anyway). This week started out rough when I got hit with my second wave of homesickness, but I think it's going to get better.
It never ceases to amaze me how adaptable people are - or at least how adaptable I am. Two weeks ago I was having a complete panic attack about moving here, but almost within the first two days it started to seem normal, and now that I've established directions internally, the newness of this place isn't even an issue anymore. I'm still trying to work out my schedule and I'm trying to be more disciplined about homework and work, but as far as just general living, it doesn't feel that much different than Provo as far as day to day living goes. (There are many differences between this place and Provo - don't get me wrong. I just don't feel like things are THAT different.)
This week:

  • I learned to take the bus to campus. This was probably a bad idea because it's going to make me late or lazy before I need to be. I should have held off until it got colder or darker. However, so far I've only been riding it TO campus and walking all the way home, so that's good news.
  • I finally sucked it up and went to find course reserve in the library. I suppose if I'm going to be a librarian I should be okay with using one, right? Especially since course reserve is on the same floor as SLIS?
  • I ate catfish for the first time. Dinner group is going to be a great thing, even if I'll only actually BE there once a week. (Curse my night classes.) It's still nice to come home to real food that I don't have to make. Thank goodness for Jill, who brings it home to me. 
  • I get to sit in on an investigator lesson with the missionaries tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited about it. (Plus, the branch mission leader is making us lunch. Hooray!)
  • I came to the startling (but obvious) realization that I am, in fact, the same person, even in Bloomington. For all the thoughts about fresh starts, I have to accept the fact that I still have the same faults and tendencies that I've always had, and those bits of my personality didn't just go away because I moved to a new place. 
  • On Sunday, I went on a walk around the streets near my apartment with my friend Eric (while we waited for Jill to get back from a meeting so we could watch a movie.) We were looking for fireflies (out of season, I know), but instead we saw squirrels, bunnies, and Bambi-esque deer with little white spots on their backs. I also saw a chipmunk on the way to class yesterday. The wildlife here is noticeably cuter than it is in Utah. 
  • There are about 40 things happening on Friday night, including the ALA opening social, the branch and stake opening socials, and another movie in the park - Sunset Boulevard, which is one of my favorites. Bah. I think I'll try to fit it all in anyway. 
That's all for now. I'm going to attempt to hit the sack before midnight tonight (ha!) so I'll just sign off now. 

2 comments:

Lin said...

here's what i should have told you earlier. you may not be a whole new person - but a whole new setting full of new people will give you the chance to try new things and make who you are now even cooler (if it's even possible to be cooler than you are right now). I hope that makes sense. Being the same person and dealing with things (even bad things) doesn't change you, it gives you the chance to improve what is already there.

there is my cheesy comment for you.

also, i've always thought the wildlife here was cuter than utah. squirrels in utah are not cute at all and i don't remember ever seeing a bunny hopping around out there. we are seeing lots of ground hogs and there was even a fox in the back yard yesterday! a fox! i was pretty excited. the end.

mkgs said...

we have our share of wildlife out here too but unfortunately most of it isn't as cute as yours! the bunnies and squirrels are pretty adorable, even though the bunnies eat all my mom's plants and she hates them... but other than that we've got more of the mean and scary variety than cute and cuddly-- raccoons, possums, armadillos, coyotes, etc. i would LOVE to see a deer or a fox here. that was one thing i loved in utah.

also--megan, your mention of sunset boulevard made me want to comment and say that i've been watching a lot of turner classic movies with my grandmother in the last few days and 1) i love it and 2) it makes me think of/miss you! i don't think sunset boulevard would be quite as much fun without you, so if it comes on tv i'm afraid i won't watch it. jk i probably will. :)