Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Facebook Miracle

So last night, Jill and I went to see Brandi Carlile in concert at a theater in Indianapolis. It was awesome, and we thoroughly enjoyed her, particularly her closing covers of Johnny Cash songs (and her cover of "Creep," which apparently is a thing now). We also thoroughly enjoyed the opening band, The Noises 10.

Here's what I really enjoy about the whole experience though. The entire thing was brought to us by Facebook. Allow me to elaborate.
  1. I found out about the concert itself on Facebook. Mentioning that I'd seen it there to Jill enabled us to discover that we both enjoy Brandi Carlile, at which point we made a savvy decision at 1:00 am and decided to buy tickets. (However, the fact that we waited a couple of days to buy tickets and happened to buy them on a day when Live Nation wasn't charging fees for that particular concert was pure luck. And awesome.) 
  2. The night before the concert, I mentioned that I was excited to make my first trip to Indy in my facebook status. A few minutes later, my friend Andrew commented on my status and said that he was randomly in Indy. Turns out he was interviewing for med schools. He didn't know I was living out here, but I promptly invited him to come with us to the show, which he did, even though Brandi Carlile isn't his usual fare (especially live, which she sounds a little more country than she does to me normally.) 
  3. While we were chatting on the way to Indy, Andrew said he was going to Houston the next day for another interview. I mentioned that our mutual friend Jason is there now working for Exxon Mobil. Within five minutes, Andrew was on the phone with Jason and had a ride from the airport and a place to stay the next day.
So that on top of the fact that it was a fabulous show with great music, great company and the Hanseroth twins made it a pretty great night. Thanks, Facebook.




2 comments:

Lin said...

what a crazy random happenstance! or several crazy random happenstances as the case may be.

glad you had fun.

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

i love that story and I love that i know most of the people in your story. I wish I could have been the one that happened to be in indy