So Krissie's brother Aaron brought us a tiny bit of leftover Drano to try, but it clearly wasn't enough, because the malaria pit came back the next day, and Aaron had mentioned that you can actually plunge a sink . . . with a plunger . . .
So yeah. We made him do that, and it worked marvelously, and all was well in Zion.
But THEN, my friends, my eyes were opened to the glory of the plunger. So the next week, Jennie and I were looking with disgust at our bathtubs, which (despite some very amazing hair catchers) wouldn't drain for hours and left all kinds of nastiness behind. Jennie finally bought our own bottle of Drano, but her tub wouldn't drain enough for her to pour anything down, and it had been literally HOURS.
So I got out the plunger.
Two things happen when you plunge a bathtub: 1) it drains, 2) it frees up the disgusting masses of hair that are clogging the drain so you can pull a lot of junk out before you use the Drano. I used it on Jennie's bathtub and then put a little water in mine so that I could pull out some of the hair in it as well. (I don't know if the water is really necessary because I don't really understand the physics of the whole thing, but I couldn't bring myself to plunge without water.)
Last night I was cleaning the vanity for our cleaning checks this morning (had to be last night because of the PRAXIS this morning, which was NOT hard) and one of the things we have to do is pull out the drain plugs and pull off the hair. SO much more disgusting than the bathtub. There is something grimy and black down there . . . ewww. So I was poking around down in the drain (and trying not to throw up) and suddenly the sink wouldn't drain anymore! How can it drain less well AFTER I clean it out? Yeah. No idea.
So I got out the plunger. And Jennie took a picture. And it worked beautifully, as I knew it would.
Note: If you ever use this method, don't forget that plungers are disgusting. Sterilize the sink or bathtub afterward.
3 comments:
you're so hardcore megan. my hero.
Ah Plunging. My favorite past time. Nothing like a good plunge. dad and I used to plunge by bathroom for hours. It smells horrible, and that black stuff is sick. But worth it to see that water swirl every so swiftly down the drain!
it really is amazing (and incredibly disgusting) how much hair six girls lose. i remember cleaning out the sink drains at the glenwood when our apartment was at maximum capacity and pulling out a wad of hair the size of a guinea pig...with a straightened out wire hanger. and my sink and tub drains now need a good cleaning - i will be joining the ranks of drain plungers soon.
way to fix-it-yourself, megs! very women's rights and such!
Post a Comment