I am very tired. I think it has something to do with walking around a classroom all day trying to coerce kids into writing. "What?" they shriek. "You want us to write three-fourths of a page?" "Yes," I reply. "And no double-spacing on those wide rule lines."
I mean seriously. I'm not asking them to do anything hard, but I guess that asking them to do something besides sit and stare at me is unreasonable. It's days like today that make me wonder about this whole thing, days when I realize how much I'm counting down to the end of student teaching, how much I currently can't wait to be done and get my diploma so that I can do this forever. Yikes. I really don't know how I feel about that.
I have to admit that on those rare occasions when I get them writing and they're really writing - excited about what they've thought to write about, eager to share their ideas with me, writing twice or three times the requirement I set - those are good times. It's those kids who look at me like I asked them to drop their pants and walk into the front office who really get under my skin - the kids who scream wasted potential from the tips of their bleached hair to the soles of their inked up shoes. The kids who- when prompted by the promise of candy- give me really insightful answers and prove that some little part of their brain is getting it.
Yesterday I looked at some journals my 8th graders had turned in. One said, "I'm smarter than I act. I talk a lot and people don't think I'm smart, but I get all As and Bs." It makes me want to cry that in middle school it's a unwritten sin to act smart.
And I can't help but wonder what I can do to make learning more interesting, more exciting. Is there a way to make it something they want to do? I can't figure out how to make it more exciting, no matter how much I reference my textbooks and notes. Am I a boring teacher or are they just bored because they choose not to be engaged?
Meanwhile, there is a newly instituted bright spot in every week. My friend Kellie and I started having a weekly movie night and it has now grown significantly. She has several edited movies and we have a list of other things we want to see, and it makes me very happy to gather with other movie fiends to devour one incredible film after another. These are the same girls with whom I frequented international cinema last semester - now we gather in Kellie's living room. So far we've watched Pan's Labyrinth, The Motorcycle Diaries, and tonight The Shawshank Redemption. It's a bright spot of intellectual stimulation, where it's okay to watch meaningful, insightful and beautiful movies. (One of my pet peeves is the frequency- in a college situation, I might add -of comments like, "I'm too tired to think. Let's not watch (insert quality thinking movie title here) tonight." Which is inevitably followed by popping in some inane movie that I've already seen more times than is really necessary (once, in the case of some movies) and talking through it. Watching real movies doesn't make me nearly as tired; it leaves me uplifted and feeling more hopeful about the state of the world. Seeing them with other people lets me know I'm not alone on this, and for that I am grateful.
3 comments:
I'm sure this will be mildly disheartening to you, but hopefully not for long - the question about the boring teacher or uninterested students... well, I suppose you will get LESS boring as you really figure out what you're doing - that's just the nature of the beast - but I also think the reason good teachers are so needed is that it is SO HARD to intellectually stimulate some of these kids - often very bright, but not sure who the heck they are and so nothing will really matter until they do. What kind of stuff are they reading and writing about? See, moments like this comment to you make me feel a little guilty for dropping out of the English Teaching major, because I really DO think it is important and somehow I feel like a chicken for not doing it... LOL. se la vie - you never can win. :) Keep plugging along!
i have a lot of things i could say to you, but feel like i'm not knowledgeable enough to really help.
i do know you are going to be a great teacher. give it all you got - one of your students will eventually notice and react accordingly and then it will be totally worth it.
also - we can always move to London and be bohemian (fancy word for poor) if our career paths don't work out. :)
My suggestion:
Go to a movie store of some kind (do they have Blockbuster in Utah?)
Rent The Dead Poet's Society and Freedom Writers.
Every time you get goosebumps, try and figure out why.
Figure out how to do that for someone else.
Every teacher I've ever learned from started by giving me goosebumps... not the I'm-scared-you're-a-psycho kind. The you-just-inspired-me kind.
Best wishes!
Post a Comment