So there are some things that bother me. This should not come as a shock to any of you who know me - there are actually many that bother me, and I often complain about them. I'm probably not going to apologize for that now.So here's the thing. Have you ever noticed that when it comes to relationships (or anything related to them) everyone is an expert? And they expect their amazing advice/insight to be helpful to you?
For example, I've always had issues with the phrase, "You should date him." Oh, what a good idea! I never thought of that before! Well, I'll just get right on that and date him! I mean really, what does that mean?
But the one that was bugging me today was the answer to the (probably stupid - sorry) question, "How's married life?" "Oh, it's great. I recommend it!" Oh. Well, if you recommend it, I'll look into it! I wasn't sure it was a good idea before, but now I'm SOLD. Perhaps next they will write me a review. Give me the thumbs up. Four stars.
I realize that it's petty of me to criticize people in their utter newlywed bliss. I just think it's time for people to realize that just because they found a relationship does not mean they know how to get other people into relationships - nor should they worry too much about doing so. I've got it covered. Or even if I don't, that's my business. I need neither admonitions nor recommendations.
Thank you.
3 comments:
I remember feeling the same way :) And now I am married...on my own accord. So what I really got out of it(and I hope you wont take this as me thrusting advice upon you)is that when it's right for you and it's right for him, then things will work out. Until then...enduring the never-ending advice and recommendations is just something that we have to do. It's mostly because people care about us...good luck with everything. I hope that all is going well with you!
Megan... WHAT A WONDERFUL POST! I'm right with you. And HOW did you make that fantastic Mormonad?
Alas, I can only take credit for knowing where to find the Mormonad. Divine Comedy worked the magic.
Post a Comment