Saturday, August 9, 2008

Good things come to those who wait. At least they do today.

This will be a really boring post to anyone who is male. Sorry.
Preface: I am not an impulse buyer. I'm always sure that right after I buy something that's kind of cool I'll find something amazing and not be able to buy it because I wasted my money on something lame. This is a good money saving device in general, because I always say I'll come back and then I don't.
So once upon a time I decided that I really wanted a coat from London. I don't know why, I just thought it would be a really happy thing to get, and I had seen some cool ones at Primark, and I thought I kind of wanted one, and then I decided that I really wanted one, and it was ridiculous, but see my post about shoes and you'll understand.
So I've looked at coats several times, and I changed my mind about the Primark ones, and I was going to go to Portobello Road, but instead I went to the Camden markets today with Erin and Annie and Kristen. The Camden markets are pretty great, and in the first area I found a couple of okay coats - one that I even talked the guy down 10 pounds on because I was so indecisive about it, but really it just wasn't quite what I wanted (which was actually nothing like what I got, but that's coming.)
So then we wandered around the other markets - Camden Lock mostly- and I found one coat that was cute but one size too small and the only one, but nothing that was quite amazing enough. Just when we were about to abandon all hope, Erin and I stumbled upon some random vintage shop (not usually my thing, but they had a lot of coats) and I was looking at some weird but kind of cool thing, and Erin walked away and I saw it. A beautiful coat. In my size. (In Europe I wear a 12, and a 7 in shoes. This makes no sense at all - a bigger sounding size in clothes and a smaller size in shoes? No clue.) So I tried it on... And it was love at first sight.
This picture doesn't really show the amazingness of this coat. I thought I wanted a trench coat - a tan one, Casablanca style. But I was willing to negotiate for something amazing, and here we go - perfect and only 5 pounds more than the somewhat mediocre coat that I talked the other guy down on (which was the Casablance trench type) and basically I'm really excited that I didn't snatch up the first coat I saw, because it paid off big time. And I can't believe I wrote a post this long about this. Sorry.

5 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

Megan, that is a lovely coat. If it would have been blue, I'd have purchased one as well.

Megs said...

I actually thought the same thing - it would have been absolutely perfect if it had been blue. There was an almost as cool blue one earlier on, but this one was just a whole lot more amazing, and I'm telling you, even though it was pink, this coat was meant to be mine, and there were no others. Love.

Janssen said...

AMAZING coat. I am totally coveting it. Also, are you in the room we were in last time? The one just above the classroom??

Also, could your posts make me miss London any more than I already do?

Elise said...

I, for one, feel coats warrant their own blog posts. Do not feel bad--I can't have enough coats. Joel will tell you just how bad my obsession is.

Lili and Jeff said...

What a wonderful coat. I fully endorse this purchase. Tis lovely.