I am happy to tell you that, thanks to Emily and David introducing me to Drudge Report (it's now a link in my sidebar - check it out, but be warned: it's very addicting), I am actually more informed about things than I usually am. When I walked through the protest in front of the Russian Embassy (which, by the way, is at the end of my street - we can hear the whistles and chanting from the Centre when the window is open), I wasn't confused for more than a minute (and I was pretty tempted to grab a Georgian flag and go down and brave the bobbies).
Do you all realize that Russia is at war with Georgia, and that Georgia is one of our allies in this whole Iraq thing? They're calling for us to help them, but if we do, what would happen? Haven't we been effectively staying out of war with Russia for the past 60-odd years for a reason? So really, I guess there isn't a lot we can do, which is the reason for this and other useful responses by American politicians. It's all sounding a little too much like WWI for my taste - countries backing up their allies until it's one big mess. And it's easy to say just stay out of it, but this whole situation has very quickly stopped looking like something easy, especially when we are issuing warnings and Russia is ignoring them completely.
This is a crazy and sometimes nasty world, my friends, and I wish I knew more about what I'm talking about. But I am trying. This thing is getting uglier by the day, and I don't think we're done yet.
2 comments:
Well, from what I've seen on Yahoo!, Russia is pulling out. Putin says that Georgia has been sufficiently "punished", whatever that means. Military action has been halted...for now. Let's just hope that this doesn't escalate. You're right about the WWI similarities. Too scary.
A guy at work at wells fargo said to me today..."did you hear about Russia bombing Georgia? I hope those people in atlanta are ok..."
Post a Comment