Tuesday, August 5, 2008

There's No System, There's No Guarantee

By the way, I just have to post this (partially so I don't forget to continue pursuing it.)
I don't very often discover music on my own. I swipe stuff from my friends and brothers and sometimes discover the true beauty of a band before someone else does, but I get enough stuff from various sources that I don't often seek after it.
Last night on the tube I was leafing through one of the free newspapers that the hand out by all of the tube stops and happened upon a review of the new Conor Oberst CD.
I know dear Conor, but I didn't by his real name. I've been listening to him for a couple of years as Bright Eyes, and I love some of his songs, but I've never been able to get into a whole CD for some reason.
Today Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band released a CD, and I've been streaming it online for a little while. (If you click on the earlier link you too can stream it.) Wow. The first song sounds very Simon and Garfunkle, some of the CD sounds like old timey folky music or like it belongs in a wild west bar or something, and all of it seems to be pretty good. I've always liked his kind of interesting voice and his poetic lyrics, but for some reason this particular CD seems to be working for me more than Bright Eyes has.
Check it out. I recommend "Cape Canaveral" and "Danny Callahan."

Also, Spence just turned me on to a new version of "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap from a new CD called Songs for Tibet. KILLER. I like it better than the original.

7 comments:

Lin said...

I can always count on you for new music. I'm kind of addicted to Imogen Heap at the moment...will have to track that one down.

Also on my list of CDs to buy that I'm kind of in love with and would be more so if I went out and bought the CD. She & Him with Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. Love it.

Megs said...

That is a good one. I actually gave it to my dad for his birthday this year.

Lin said...

always ahead of me in the game. psh. someday i'm going to tell you about some music you haven't heard yet and i will do a happy dance.

Anonymous said...

She and Him played at Newport last weekend. I had plans to go to the Folk Fest, but have been saving my shekels and missed it. If you are interested, you can hear they're performance here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93227690

Lin said...

um...that is a great performance.

megan, your brother has amazing music finding abilities, he's like a superhero.

Anonymous said...

Apparently my superhero qualities do not extend to my grammar.

"Their" not "they're".

Durrr. :(

Anonymous said...

P.S. While you are checking out She and Him, you should click on the link to Jim James's performance (of My Morning Jacket). M. Ward joins him for a couple of songs. Now THAT was a performance.