Thursday, January 29, 2009

Get a Job (Sha na na na)

At the request of my brothers, I give you the beginnings of the job hunting playlist, which is appropriate, because in the middle of writing this I GOT A JOB! Most of these were actually suggested by Clark and Treb, (you'll probably be able to tell that these aren't all from my library) so I'm just facilitating their posting as a whole. Here we go.
  • "16 Tons" - Lots of people did this, but my favorite version is the one from Joe Versus the Volcano. imdb.com tells me that this is Eric Burdon, despite the copy in my iTunes being misfiled. Tennessee Ernie Ford's version is good too - it's probably blasphemy for me not to put it first, but the Joe version gives you the imagery of all of those people going to the rectal probe factory, and you just can't beat that.
  • "Responsibility" - MxPx
  • "Dead End Job" - The Police
  • "Career Day" -  The Format
  • "Found a Job" - Talking Heads
  • "Career Opportunities" -  The Clash
  • "It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career" - Belle and Sebastian
  • "Step Into My Office, Baby" - Belle and Sebastian
  • "Union Maid" - Old Crow Medicine Show
  • "I Will Not Go Quietly" - Don Henley
  • "The Finest Worksong" - REM
  • "The World's Greatest" - R. Kelley
  • "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" - Daft Punk
  • "I Get Knocked Down" - Chumbawumba
  • "Bad Day" - Daniel Powter
  • "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - U2
  • "I Won't Back Down" - Tom Petty
  • "Business" - Eminem
  • "East Bound and Down" - Jerry Reed
  • "Welcome to the Working Week" - Elvis Costello
  • "Working at the Car Wash Blues" - Jim Croce
  • "The Employment Pages" - Death Cab for Cutie
  • "Company Calls" - Death Cab for Cutie
  • "Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)" - Sufjan Stevens
Meanwhile, I will now be working with Amanda at Five Star Painting in Springville. Three cheers for a wonderful roommate who put my name in as soon as a position opened up! I start tomorrow, and I'm all kinds of glad that I'll have somewhere to go now that the applications are pretty much done. I was about to get really depressingly bored. :)

4 comments:

Clark Winegar said...

Hooray! For both a pretty great playlist and for you getting a job. Let's hope the magical playlist can help me too.

Elise said...

two words that send a shiver down any person's spine: "rectal probe." The horror! The horror!

...aaaand congrats! May your days be merry and bright and may all... well, wrong season but the sentiment still stays.

Tiffany said...

Congratulations! That's great! :) And good luck waiting for hearing back on college apps. :D

Anonymous said...

I can pretty much tell exactly which of these songs came from Clark and which from you. ;) Good list though.