This is a picture of my roommate Whitney in her beautiful new glasses. They have some very classy jewels on the sides, and look very well with her smashing "academic pink" blazer. As Lindsey said, "You think Whitney can't get any hotter, and then, oh look, she did." As much as I love singing Whitney's praises though, the post is about her glasses and her insights concerning them more than it is about her hotness.
On the first morning that Whitney woke up and put on her tres chic glasses, her vision seemed a little funny, and she thought, "Shoot! I got the wrong prescription!" However, when she took them off and put them back on again, she could tell that they really did make her vision clearer than her old pair of glasses did. It was then that a profound thought came to her: sometimes, it just takes time to get used to something new - even if it's better.
For Whitney, this was especially profound, because she has been trying to get used to the difference between the grad program she just began and her undergraduate experience, and she realized that it really is better, but that doesn't mean it's instantly going to feel better than what she was used to. She shared her thoughts with me about some of the things I've been trying to figure out, and it turned out to be applicable to today's Relief Society lesson as well. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that it applies to virtually every change in our lives (or at least the better ones), whether it be moving to a new place or adding a new member to the family (pointed looks at a few members of my family), starting a new job or starting a new relationship. Even if we are really excited about these things, that doesn't mean they'll seem better immediately, especially if our expectations were high. We are bound to miss things about the old glasses, because we were used to them. But even if we have to go through that adjustment period where everything seems a little off, eventually, the new prescription really will be better. And eventually we will need another new prescription, because our vision will change again - and when that happens we'll probably need to give the next new thing a chance before we believe that it's also better.
Isn't Whitney hot in her new glasses, though? I think that's good incentive for us all. :)
By the way, this is post number #299, so I can't dilly dally about my 300th post anymore. Hold your breath - I hope it ends up being amazing.
And in conclusion - my favorite postsecrets from this week.

1 comment:
And this is why I love you: You are amazing, among other numerous reasons. And I love the parable, so that is why I love Whitney, among other numerous reasons as well. So I love you.
Post a Comment