In January, I had to come back to Provo early to start student teaching. I hated the last semester before it started, so I wasn't even remotely excited, and I was not super happy about coming back to my cold, empty apartment before anyone else was back. I spent the first two weeks observing and writing lesson plans, and then just got thrown into the whole thing. It was ultimately a good, if often traumatic, experience.
I also started making plans to go back to England, and worked as a facilitator for the program in the preparation stages. I started on my journey to being the program's Google in human form, and I loved it.
Whitney and I went to see a play in Cedar City called "Art," at some point early in the semester, and we started to discover that we were kindred spirits (a phrase I can us in reference to Whitney because she pretty much IS Anne Shirley). This was a good thing to discover, because Miri and Lili were making wedding preparations, and Jennie didn't want to hit all of the obscure movies at international cinema with me.
In March, I was sick for pretty much the entire month. It was delightful trying to teach through the coughing.
I graduated in April and started the discouraging process of applying for jobs. I drove down to Utah county several times and then had several phone calls telling me that I didn't get the job. By the time I went to London, I just had to tell myself not to worry about it.
London was great, and at some point the Google thing must have gone to my head, because I decided to look into the whole librarian thing. I managed to secure myself an internship as soon as I got back, and spent many happy months working in the Music and Dance library. I moved in with Whitney, and we got really lucky in the roommate department with Amanda and Torie. Lindsey moved back to Utah, Jennie got engaged, and Miri moved to Texas. I got a new nephew and am eagerly anticipating another. I finished out the year by changing my mind about doing an online MLS program and switching all of my applications to different schools in places where I wanted to go (which meant not so much the University of Alabama).
I've been thinking about the strange course of this year a lot lately, because for so many years it felt like I knew exactly where I was heading (at least as far as the school to work continuum was concerned) and now I feel like I'm exploding in so many different directions that I don't even know what I want. I feel good about the grad school applications, but I'm scared to death, and I keep wondering where I'll actually be in September - if I'll really leave or if something completely different will come up. I suppose that should seem exciting, all of this uncertainty, but it's making me approach 2009 a little warily. I suppose that overall 2008 was pretty wonderful, and no matter what happens, my guess is that 2009 will be as well. I just wish I could see why now.
In any case, bring it on. I can't stand the wait much longer.
3 comments:
This is the second time I'm trying to leave this comment--curse you blogger! Anyway, 2008 was not such a great year for me, but then I didn't go to London. I am quite excited for 2009 though I'm with you so far as having no idea what will happen in the fall which will eventually scare me to death. Anyway, good luck with everything. I hope 2009 is excellent for all of us!
I know it can be stressful not knowing what's next, but I've learned to enjoy the excitement. I certainly find it more encouraging than the thought of knowing exactly what I'll be doing every day of my life for the next 30 years! And of course, whatever happens, I'm sure it will be great. :)
The "Google" of the program...so true. We DID just consult you on everything. Lucky for me, I pretty much went everywhere with you, so I managed to see all of the cool places in London. Golden. And, I'm sure that things will work out. I know you've probably heard that quite a bit in the last little while, but I believe it. You are an intelligent young woman with a lot to offer. People that don't see that are missing out on something great.
Post a Comment