I've always thought that it was kind of annoying when girls got married and didn't leave their maiden name up for at least a little while. I understand if people feel differently, but sometimes I didn't know they were getting married at all, or someone from Jr. High adds me and I have no idea who they are because they are now married and have some crazy last name or whatever. (This is worse, by the way, when their picture doesn't clear things up, i.e. it's too far away to see who it is, or they are kissing their now hubby in the picture and all I see is closed eyes and lips, or it's just a random picture of something else. But I digress.) In any case, I'd prefer it if girls would leave up their maiden name as their middle name to avoid confusion, but I guess if you don't know who they married, you probably weren't close enough for it to matter anyway.
Now to my question. The latest trend I've been seeing concerning this issue involves people whose maiden names are in quotation marks. So it I did it, my name would appear as Megan 'Winegar' Pumpernickelbreadmaker. Now, maybe this is a function of facebook where you enter in your maiden name and it just puts it that way, but it looks silly to me, as if that isn't a real part of their name at all, but they are pretending for the sake of the masses. If it's going to look like that, I'd rather they just chopped out the middle name altogether.
Yes, I have issues. I'm working through them.
On a completely unrelated note, this is post 297 (now that I have deleted some never-posted drafts) and I still don't know what to do for my 300th post! The pressure is killing me. It's at least as stressful as my grad school personal statements, if not more so. :)
7 comments:
I'm with you on that one. I've only ever seen one person put their maiden name in quotes, and I thought it was really weird... I mean, it's still a name. Sure, leave on the maiden name, but why in quotes?
Oh, and I like your predicted married last name.
Girls should just fill in both the last names in the same box. It would make my life so much easier! Your frustration is understandable, and I completely sympathize.
Also, about your 300th post I'm not sure what to tell you to do. It takes a lot of dedication to blog that much, so kudos.
Perhaps you could use your 300th post to tell us more about Mr. Pumpernickelbreadmaker. That could be amusing. What would your ideal husband be like (besides, of course, an excellent baker of pumpernickel bread)?
The one that makes ME crazy is when a husband and wife SHARE A FACEBOOK PROFILE! And their first name is like "Joe & Katie" Smith. ughhhhhh.
I want to offer my congrats to the new Mrs. Pumpernickelbreadmaker. He sounds Italian.
Or they could solve the problem and just keep their maiden name... LOL.
I also think quotes is dumb.
And I hate personal statements. I completely sympathize with you about that matter.
Post a Comment