A call for creeper songs.
- I'm posting my half-hearted attempt at a spring mix because I'm out of inspiration (for now) and want to start a new one. So. Here's as far as I got with this one before I got bored and abandoned it. The new, more exciting project idea is below, and I want your help, so please start thinking.
- "Ragged Wood" - Fleet Foxes
- "Do You Know What I'm Seeing?" - Panic At the Disco
- "Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall" - Simon and Garfunkel
- "Be Gentle With Me" - Boy Least Likely To"
- "Run" - Ben Kweller
- "Index Moon" - Grand Archives
- "I'm a Cuckoo" - Belle and Sebastian
- "Oceans" - The Format
- "Good Day Sunshine" - The Beatles
- "Rise" - Eddie Vedder
- "Let's Get Out of This Country" - Camera Obscura
- "The Cult of Karl" - Chris Merritt
- "Sausalito" -Conor Oberst
- Okay. Here's the new project.
- I want to make a mix of songs that seem sweet at first, but when you really think about them are kind of creepy-weird love. Here are some examples.
- "Aliens" by Andy Dunlop - "I've been talking to aliens. They've agreed to abduct everyone but you -- so we can start again." Um, pardon? So you're having aliens take away the entire human race so that you can have another chance with this girl? Because she has no other choice??
- "Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung - "I'll put a spell on you and when I wake you I'll be the first one you see, and you'll realize that you love me." Hmm. Maybe you should just move on buddy.
- And the ever popular, "Every Breath You Take" by Sting. "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you. Oh can't you see, you belong to me?" Yeah. Nice idea, but in practice, super creepy.
- So here are the rules. I don't want it to be an all stalker mix, so there has to be some creativity, and it has to initially sound sweet. Because of this I'm leaving off Rooney's "Daisy Duke" for now, because that song is just freaky (even if it's incredible catchy). So we're looking for over-the-top, kind of weirdo love, I-love-you-so-much-I'd-do-any-number-of-desperate-freaky-things-to-make-it-work-with-you songs. Oh yeah - and they have to be good songs, not just icky ones no one listens to. Ready, set, creep me out!
7 comments:
Okay, I'm usually just a lurker, but I think I have a song for you. I think that "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie totally fits. It's sweet, but also a little creepy when you really listen to the lyrics.
Does Stacy's Mom fit in this category? Kind of?
I realize that you were going for a more indie rock mix of creeper songs, but Clay Aiken's 'Invisible' is UBER creepy. 'If I were invisible, then I would just watch you in your sleep'? Yeah, don't ask me how I know the words to that song. I hate Clay Aiken with a passion. And not because he's gay. And yet I know the words...sigh.
Cousin Dupree by Steely Dan
"Ready, set, creep me out!" HA! I missed that the first time around.
I know I already sent you the best addition (Chloroform the One You Love - just the title has enough creeper in it to qualify, no?) but Crash Into Me by DMB is also a pretty classic stalkery song. "I watch you there through the window and I stare at you..." etc.
I'll Be That Girl by Barenaked Ladies. It's catchy, but one of those songs that once you know the lyrics you're like, "wait, what?" kind of like Daisy Duke but to a slightly lesser degree. It's a different feel to it though being BNL, but you know, creepy all the same.
I really want to find a good girl creeper song. I feel like there should be some out there, right? I will keep looking.
As for the spring time mix, I know you have The Beatles, but Here Comes the Sun always makes me think of spring...like waking up mid morning and hearing lots of birdies singing with a nice day and lots of sunshine.
That is all for now.
i can't believe the song by garbage isn't on here. it doesn't really fit into your genre, but it is (i think) the ultimate creepers song. yes, the whole song is disturbing but here are the best lines, i think:
"you will believe in me, and i will never be ignored. i will burn for you. feel pain for you.
i will twist the knife and bleed my aching heart, and tear it apart."
if that's not creepy i don't know what is...
ps- i love reading your playlists. they're great.
Post a Comment