Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hold on, there's a hole in my heart!

Can we take the next hour and talk about me?
My very favorite band is calling it quits.
Sam and Nate! Please come to your senses! What will I do without you? Don't you realize how much you have influenced my life? Don't you realize that the title and subtitle of my blog both come from you? That I have multiple Giant Journal pages that revolve around your lyrics, and that I have an entire page dedicated to you? That the first song I could really play on the guitar was "A Mess to be Made?" I need a reason to let go. An intervention, a lullaby - something to cure me.
Please believe me.
I'm sure that Sam and Nate will both do some amazing things with their musical careers, but I just can't imagine not having them out there putting out amazing stuff for me. And no warning!
I'm quite undone.
In memoriam, a few of my favorite quotes from this band, may it rest in peace (realize that my very favorite is the subtitle of the blog, from "I Am Ready, I Am"):
  • "My love is not a bank statement." - from "A Mess to Be Made"
  • "If I fail, well then, I fail, but I gave it a shot." - from "On Your Porch"
  • "I'm falling in love with you, balloons or no balloons. Sometimes I forget the past and just learn to love what I have, 'cause I love waking up to your laugh." -from "Janet"
  • "I've just gotta get myself over me. You know me, or you think you do - you just don't seem to see I've been waiting all this time to be something I can't define." - from "The First Single"
  • "Life is not a play, it's what we make of the people we love." - from "Snails"
  • "That's a metaphor- no wait - a simile. I'm still learning but I think I'm getting better." - from "Career Day"
  • "We'll take our chances, we'll rise above, we'll last until the end." - from "Inches and Falling
  • "You know it's such a drag to live your life for a heart attack - to never get a second chance to say goodbye." - from "At the Wake"
  • "If you can't dance, there's someone else in line." - from "The Compromise"
  • "I think it's safe to say I've only got myself to blame." - from "Dog Problems"
  • "I scream as loud as anyone, but when asked to make a point I tend to whisper." - from "If Work Permits"
  • "I started sending you a note on how I hope that you're happy - I hear you're somewhere near the sand - and how I wish I was an ocean; maybe then I'd get to see you again." - from "Oceans"
  • "Why am I scared from what she did to me? Why can't I trust anyone - no, not even me?" - from "Oceans"
  • "Don't tell me when it's coming (don't) I just want to see it for myself. Don't breathe, don't make a sound, 'cause the song won't stop 'till the tape runs out. The melody has nothin' to hold - I'll be the last sound that you hear as your eyes close." - from "Wait, Wait, Wait"
  • "Let's make a list of who we need, then we'll throw it away 'cause we don't need anyone." -from "The First Single"
  • "Don't call for your surgeon, even he says it's too late - it's not your lungs this time, it's your heart that holds your fate." - from "For You"
  • "Sometimes, when sailors are sailing they think twice about where they're anchoring. And I think I could make better use of my time on land." - from "If Work Permits"
Let's cause a scene.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Oh Megan! I'm so sorry. I heard from Sydney that the Format was no longer and I immediately thought of you. I have to say--those lyrics are pretty amazing. I didn't realize how profound they were. Best of luck healing emotionally. We're all rooting for you. :)

Lin said...

i am sorry you have lost your band. they were amazing. but maybe now they'll go make two more amazing bands and you will be doubly happy? i'll keep my fingers crossed for that to happy. in the meantime, my heart goes out to you.

Elise said...

ok. my blog has been updated and it's your fault. I could have read my Walcott poetry, but I decided to write some Valentine's day history. I hope you enjoy it!