Monday, February 4, 2008

Music for a Happy SAD

I know this is early, and it's also woefully incomplete, but I thought I'd get a start on it and send it out for you all to add to, and then we can all be prepared when the dark Thursday approaches.
I'm not sure what the overall theme is for this playlist - some of the songs are just build you up songs, some are pro-love but not necessarily pro relationship, some are just non-sappy love songs, and some are wonderfully bitter (as in, be glad you're single). Anyway, it will come into more focus as we go along, but I thought I'd post what I've got for your consideration.
I'll admit that this list is geared toward girls - it will need modification for guys. Deal.
  • "My Funny Valentine" - Elvis Costello (a short version and good - a good, ironic way to start I'm thinking)
  • "Single" - Natasha Bedingfield (This song is not even remotely my style, and it annoys me during the rest of the year, but I like it on Feb. 14th. Look at the lyrics and you'll see why.)
  • "You Don't Own Me" - from The First Wives' Club
  • "Can't Change Me" - Chris Cornell
  • "Perfecting Loneliness" - Jets to Brazil
  • "Valentine" - Old '97s ("Valentine the destroyer...")
  • "On the Bound" - Fiona Apple ("It's a sad, sad world when a girl will break a boy just because she can . . .")
  • "Fake" - The Frames
  • "Nothing Better" - The Postal Service
  • "I Remember" - Damien Rice
  • "Songs of Love" - Ben Folds
  • "La La Lie" - Jack's Mannequin
  • "Polaris" - Jimmy Eat World
  • "The Sound of Settling" - Death Cab for Cutie
  • "We're All in This Together" - Ben Lee (Not to be confused with the one from High School Musical. Really.)
  • "Got to Get You Into My Life" - The Beatles
  • "No One's Gonna Love You" - Band of Horses ("No one's gonna love you more than I do.")
  • "I Want You" - Bob Dylan
  • "Reason Why" - Rachael Yamagata ("I will head out alone, hope for the best . . .)
  • "The One That Got Away" - The Actual Tigers
  • "For You" - The Format
  • "Valentine's Day" - Linkin Park
Feel free to offer suggestions or changes - see if you can figure out the rhyme and reason to this. :)

4 comments:

Lin said...

this a great list already. there are so many songs to choose from really. we could go sappy, bitter or neutral. or take the really viciously cool love song route...and since we are amazing and cool and totally don't have to try to be either one of those things...i say we go for the latter. who cares if the songs are sappy or bitter? if they make us happy, on the list they go! at some point this month, we'll play these songs and every single one will have it's time to shine.

here are more suggestions:

Anyone Else but You by The Moldy Peaches

All I Want Is You by Barry Louis Polisar

Rainy Days and Mondays by The Carpenters (you can't have a "love" play list without the Carpenters)

First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes

Haze of Love by Cake

Friend is a Four-letter Word by Cake

If You Find Yourself Caught in Love by Belle and Sebastian

(If you’re single, but looking out
You must raise your prayer to a shout
Another partner must be found
Someone to take your life beyond
Another TV “I Love 1999”...)

I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt (haha. i feel like a dork just typing that out)

Somebody to Love by Queen

There are so many more. Maybe I'll make my own play list and combine the two to make a super play list.

Unknown said...

so........ I'm beginning to wonder if there's anyone that likes Valentine's Day. I can't think (maybe I'm not trying with all my fuerza) of anyone I know that's excited that it's coming.

I mean, since we stopped passing out Valentines in school, the whole thing's kind of lost its savor.

But someone ought to like it... who is that person?

Lin said...

i like Valentine's Day just fine. I don't like the fact that Valentines merchandise was exhibited in stores as early as the FIRST OF THE YEAR. that's just ridiculous.

but the 14th of February is fun. someone usually gives me free chocolate and that's really all that matters, right?

Elise said...

I think you should add Death Cab for Cutie's "Someday You Will Be Loved" if not for the entire song, for the title. I think it fits with the forward looking perspective Valentine's Day sometimes required. :)