Saturday, February 23, 2008

Loverly Spring

This is absolutely my favorite time of year. I know that technically it isn't quite spring yet, but my friends, we are on the cusp. And the cusp just may be my favorite place to be.
Today it was sunny and beautiful outside, and Miri and I opened our window even though it was just a tiny bit too cold for it. I took a nap with the smell of almost-spring air just above my head and almost-spring sun coming in. I love the anticipation and the smell and the warmth that is almost here but still hanging back just a little. The snow is melting off, and although we're still getting some, it mostly isn't sticking, which I'm hoping will continue.
This time of year always brings back so many other feelings and memories. It usually isn't something big, but I smell the change in the air and I can remember exactly the way I was feeling the last time I started smelling it, not to mention what music I was into, what books I was reading, who was foremost in my mind (haha). I remember the feeling of pushing the spring wardrobe last year - wearing t-shirts and capris too early because wearing spring clothing means it really is spring, doesn't it? I remember making a mix last year and driving up the canyon with my window down and the heater full blast, and I remember walking home from the London prep class the year before and feeling so free and happy because the winter was finally leaving and soon I would be too.
I can't even explain how much of a relief it always is to me when I can finally see the signs of winter receding. Everything seems lighter and better when I know that I am only a few short weeks away from studying outside, packing up my long heavy coats, wearing flip flops, shaving my legs more than once a week (hahaha), feeling less conspicuous when I wear bright colors, sleeping with the window open every night.
Right now I'm listening to Sufjan Stevens, which means that next year at this time I will think of his playful horns and banjo when I first open my window again.
Keep it coming Spring. Don't let Winter push you around. Manifest yourself - the sooner the better.

3 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

YES! Yes, yes, yes, oh yes. :D

Unknown said...

My sentiments exactly, Megan. The "cusp" is almost as good as the real thing.

Janssen said...

What a great post - I love this time of year too. Right now, I can hear birds chirping outside. And I wouldn't have even listened for them unless you'd written this post.