Sunday, February 10, 2008

That's not a good prize!

So this week I got a very nasty virus. It came through IM from my dear friend Melissa, a message that said, "This picture looks just like you!" and when I clicked on it, my computer started going crazy.
Thankfully, (and not) poor Brad Riching got it from me, because it immediately started spreading through my IM contact list. He went to Doug, who offered several suggestions for getting rid of the immediate threat (getting rid of the redirects to phishing websites, for one) and then recommended a good anti-virus software. Brad bought said software and got 3 licenses. He used one on his laptop and one on his desktop, and (because he loves me) he gave one to me. It killed the viruses and all of the spyware and keyloggers and everything else disgusting and nasty. Funny thing about my free Symantec - it can tell me I have something, but it can't kill it. Yay for PC Tools internet security.
The good news is my computer is working pretty beautifully right now (although all of this has me thinking about my next computer, which is probably due pretty soon). The bad news is I think a few other people got the virus before I got rid of it. If you did, I hope you get rid of it quickly. It's a scary one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still kinda freaked out because I've run the spyware and a couple other programs, my husband did a bunch of stuff and he can't find any virus on the computer. I know what you are talking about because I got two messages like that, one from megs (not you :) and one from my friend brandon. can you send me those instructions again to get rid of it because Adam said they were incomplete. Thanks :)