- First, a non highlight. What on earth is John McCain thinking? Does he realize that he is 72 years old and his VP has 20 months of experience in Alaska? What if he gets elected and kicks it? (I have several more complaints and reservations about this, but I'm going to leave it at that. Treb, you are welcome to post a comment about the rest of them.)
- I went to movie night on Thursday, where we watched Dr. Horrible. Have I mentioned how much I love Dr. Horrible? Because it's a lot. Anyway, it was nice to go back to movie night and feel completely comfortable there, especially since the first few weeks in a new place are inevitably awkward.
- Whitney and I made a Friday night run to Cedar City to see Othello, which was good once I resigned myself to American accents again. I think Othello is one of the more tragic tragedies, because, in Whitney's words, it's one of the most human. My favorite quote was by Iago: "Men should be as they seem." So ironic coming from him, but such truth. Also, the title of this post comes from Whitney's first Green Show experience. When the performers came out singing, she thought they were singing "Welcome to the freak show," instead of "green show." Hahahahaha.
- Yay for BYU football! I very much enjoyed sitting with Matt, Todd, and Jason again (what would football season be without them?) and also enjoyed seeing the Cougars kick some trash (except when they kept fumbling during the 3rd quarter. Seriously.) Additionally, Katie, Emily, Dave Heywood and I had a little London reunion by portal M, which was lovely.
- I got to play with Jennie on Saturday night, and we went to Spoon Me, a frozen yogurt place that's actually pretty good (or at least had really cool chairs and played good music.)
- I'm pretty excited about my new ward. My bishop is from New York and has a great accent - once he referenced Lost in testimony meeting, I knew he was awesome. He also seems to have a gift for getting people excited about the gospel and about the ward - it was tangible in Sunday school. We have all kinds of activities planned already, so I'm excited to see how it goes down. Ward prayer was, of course, awkward, but afterward we went to participate in an apparently longtime tradition of group scripture reading (the call it "Apple Pie" because it is delicious - I thought it was a little weird too, but it's cool), and I think there are some really solid people here. I think I've landed in a good place.
- Ty and his boys came to visit me today, and although I'm hoping my bed doesn't collapse after all of the jumping the boys did on it, it was so nice to have them here. I like them.
- I got most of my decorations up, and my room is fairly organized. I posted a picture of it at the top of this blog so that you could see the handiwork. My one wall looks like a big bulletin board, so that's how I treated it. And just so you know, that big black and white picture of some random man in the right hand corner? Lawrence of Arabia. I've had the poster since the last time I went to England and I finally have somewhere to put it. The nerdiness is just exploding all over this room, and I love it.
I'm trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes, in all the things I wish I wrote. - The Format
Monday, September 1, 2008
Welcome to the freak show?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
love your room...love the bedding (a lot!)...love that you have the frame i made for you guys!!
i also love how happy you are there. i'm glad it's shaping up to be a happy place.
It's true that twenty months of experience isn't much, but its twenty months more experience than anyone else in either campaign has in governing anything.
I'm not really sure why we keep getting senators running for President. Writing laws doesn't really help much when it comes to making the decisions necessary when elected to a leadership position. I'd much rather see former governors or CEOs running rather than senators.
I've heard (I'm not sure if it's accurate) that Sarah Palin has a similar amount of executive experience that Bill Clinton had when he ran for president, granted Arkansas has a few more people than Alaska. It's unfortunate that a lot of people want to bring up Palin's pregnant daughter or her husband's 20+ year old DUI into the picture. Obama came out saying that the pregnancy was "off limits" for dems to bring up. I wonder if that's really a face he's putting on for the public to see, but behind the scenes he's giving the go ahead for some mud slinging.
As for BYU football, I've got to point out that beating Northern Iowa was pretty much a gimme. The U gets to play Weber later in the season, so we are level in that respect. Beating Michigan is something worth talking about.
Jeffrey and I went to the Spoon Me on 4th south this summer. If I was going to try and pick up chicks, I'd totally put on my emo glasses and head over there for some al natural frozen yogurt.
Funny. I was oddly impressed with his choice. I think sometimes experience is overrated. I think if you're smart, if you can make sound judgments and decisions, if you've got a good heart and you're tough enough to handle various kinds of criticism... well, that carries the day. Some of the best leaders on earth have been very young. I've been reading all sorts of stuff from political analysts, and they've made good points on either side of the debate. But mostly, I think it while it was a risky choice, it may have been a smarter risky choice than people are giving McCain credit for. In fact, it was the first thing he's done in a while that surprised me enough to look further into the reasoning for the choice. Usually he just bugs me.
Okay, maybe I should say more about it. Palin's lack of experience isn't the only reason I struggle with the choice, it's just the one that I feel kills McCain's arguments the most. He's been running on this campaign of experience and criticizing Obama for his lack of it, but Palin is younger and has less experience under her belt than Obama, and McCain is still saying that she's ready to run the country. It also seems like kind of a desperation move to me - like he's saying, "Okay, we really need to spice our campaign up so that people can get excited. I know, we'll get this maverick woman who is young and exciting and we'll shock everyone into excitement." I know that's probably a really simplified version of events, but I'm just not sold. I wasn't planning to vote for McCain anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter that much to me unless he wins.
I would love to tilt one of the pictures on your bulletin board 30 degrees.... maybe even Lawrence... maybe even 29.
And football was great!
There you go. That is a much better argument. LOL. And... it rings of truth too. (Though I still think it was an interesting move, I am not particularly sold on McCain either.)
AHH! Megan, I LOVE your room, and I hate it at the same time! It's the first time in like three years that it's just your room, and not mine too! There are things I recognize, of course, but there are more that I don't. Sure, most of those things would still have fit in if it was still "our" room (helllo Obama '08 :P) but wow. I realize more and more how much I miss being us. All eternal companion-ness aside, Mike just doesn't fill up the same places you did. I need more Megan back in my life--I'm coming to visit. Soon.
And P.S. I need Jennie in my life too! We have to plan some things soon, I miss you girls even more after we hung out a while ago.
Post a Comment