- The Lives of Others - Done and done. Excellent. (German)
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - going tonight. It's about the editor of Elle, who becomes paralyzed except for his left eye, and he blinks out his memoirs. (French)
- Under the Same Moon - hopefully sometime this week - about a little boy from Mexico whose mom is working in the states. Whoever is taking care of him dies and he goes looking for his mom. (Spanish/English)
- Our Brand is Crisis- a documentary about designing campaigns - engineering democracy in other countries. It looks interesting. (Spanish/English)
- After Life - something about sifting through memories at the way station between earth and heaven, trying to find a memory that will take you to heaven. (Japanese)
- The Chorus - An idealistic teacher turns a group of delinquent students into a choir. (French)
- Whisky - a lonely middle aged man asks his friend to pretend to be his wife when his more successful brother comes to visit, and they seem like a real married couple, even without much interaction.
- The Willow Tree - I'm tired of writing synopses. (Farsi)
- 3 Iron - (Korean)
- Turtles Can Fly - this one has come up every year for like 3 years, so I should probably go and see it. (Kurdish)
- Khadak - (Mongolian)
- The Legend of the Black Scorpian - an adaptation of Hamlet, apparently. (Mandarin)
- After the Wedding - (Danish, Swedish, Hindi, English)
- The Painted Veil - (Mandarin, English, French)
- Kundun - directed by Scorsese, about the Dali Llama - cool. I wonder if Brad Pitt will be in it. (English, Tibetan, Mandarin)
- Bella - I remember seeing this one in the paper when it was at the Broadway, but I didn't see it. (English, Spanish)
- The Orphanage - Okay, all I can say is that when I saw this was playing at IC I went, "Really?" But it's playing during the week of Halloween, a time when I do like to be scared. So there you go. (Spanish)
- Bamako - (French, Bambara)
- Infernal Affairs - the original movie of what became The Departed. (Cantonese, English)
- L'enfant - (French)
- Goodbye Lenin! - This sounds great to me. A lady goes into a coma, and while she's out, the Berlin wall goes down. Her son keeps up the illusion that the DDR is still alive and well. (German)
- Buena Vista Social Club - I've had this soundtrack FOREVER, but I've never seen the movie. I think it's time. (Spanish, English)
- The Golden Door - (Italian, English)
- The Visitor - another I wanted to see at the Broadway and didn't. (English)
- Persepolis - French, English, German, Persian
- The Joy Luck Club - Miri? You want in on this one? (English, Mandarin, Cantonese)
I'm trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes, in all the things I wish I wrote. - The Format
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Things I Want to See at IC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Man, I miss the IC.
I loved After Life.
I wish I'd gone to more IC films. I'm a loser.
i think i might try to get my hands on a few of these in the name of the finer things club, maryland chapter. i think the country of maryland needs to be exposed to more foreign films.
also - i've seen goodbye lenin and i liked it a lot. there's another german one that i can't remember at the moment that is also good - Der Krieger und die Kaiserin with Franka Potente, but i'd have to watch it again to be certain of content.
I enjoyed "Under the Same Moon." I think you'll like it.
Yes ma'am, and also probably The Orphanage. I haven't heard anything about it except what you wrote in this post, but that's enough for me. :)
Can you believe I've seen two of these already? Diving Bell was really interesting, and The Visitor was quite boring and slow-moving. You may like it though.
Post a Comment