Sunday, September 28, 2008

A hug (take 2).

Do you ever realize that you just haven't touched anyone for awhile? I've been feeling that way today. I don't know why, exactly, because I got to cuddle with my nephew Cole yesterday while we waited in line for the lift up to the alpine slide at Park City, and I saw my mom and dad last night when I went up for Women's Conference. But on days like today I miss Jennie's constant hugs and the days when Miri used to attack me when I came into a room. I miss Mandy picking me up and Geoff hugging me against my will and Michael Lundwall, who was a shameless flirt but who gave great hugs, and Jonathan just always being good for a hug when you needed him. I even miss Kevin and Steve competing for the best goodbye and picking me up until they pretty much pulled my shoulders out of their sockets, and Krissie draping herself all over whenever I was sitting down.
It's one of the funny things about being in a new place. When you stay in the same place for awhile, you know who is comfortable - who you can talk to easily, whose apartment is always open to you, who can give you a hug when you need one (without suspecting you of ulterior motives). When you aren't sure of your relationships with people because you are new (and, in my case, you have some issues with touch being natural anyway) it's kind of a funny feeling to know that those options aren't as readily available. Kind of a weird version of loneliness, I guess. I need a big, fat, squeezey hug and I don't know where to get it.
Or maybe all of this just comes from my watching several episodes of Pushing Daisies in the last couple of days. I'm feeling for Chuck and Ned a little too much.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Definitely a hard thing about being in a new place. I haven't had more than a handshake in five weeks, so I feel for you.

Here's a virtual hug, if it counts for anything.

Elise said...

I remember my first college days feeling very much un-hugged. I'd hug you if I were around. and keep a stiff upper lip. (I have no idea what that means other than keep pluggin' along.)

A hug.

Miri said...

Sad for Megan! It's amazing how many really touchy people we used to live with/around, I'd forgotten!

But I would just like to say that as silly as it sounds, I can always come over and give you a hug if you're feeling like you need one. Especially during the day--I'm by myself generally, so I'm usually not doing something I can't leave in the middle. :)

I've missed you and seeing you on Tuesday was very happy for me, and so I have decided that I have to see you a lot before Christmas. That is all. A hug.

Jennie said...

oh Megan I miss your hugs too!!!!
A hug X one million
Love Jennie

Unknown said...

I know what you mean (though I'm not really touchy-feely at all. In fact, I've often been told that I hug very awkwardly. I've also been proclaimed skinny after a few hugs).

So, here's a ... ..um.. I'm gon. ..a.. um... awkward hug.

Krilafis said...

drape?! really?