Yesterday (wow, yesterday?) I got a message from Lindsey while I was working in the reading room saying that she was offered a job out here and asking if I could come out there in a couple of weeks to drive back with her. She called me earlier this week asking if I thought that would be an option - let's be honest, I don't have school or a steady job besides my internship, so I'm pretty available - because she needed to know what choices she had for getting out here. I told her when I was available and that I thought I could probably swing it if that was what needed to happen, never dreaming that it would come up just a few days later.
I talked to my boss before I left the library that day, and she immediately wrote down the days on the calendar. I talked to my mom, who wasn't happy about it, but was resigned (it will be fine, Mom!) and then I told Lindsey I was in.
Today she bought me a ticket. I'll be flying out on Oct. 10 and we'll drive out the next day. I'm actually really excited about it. I know that it's a lot of driving, but I think everyone should get to drive cross country at least once, especially if it means that your good friend will be living much closer to you at the end of the drive! I wish I could spend more time in Maryland (and by Maryland I actually mean D.C.) but I still think it's going to be cool, and naturally traveling with Lindsey will be lovely. I'm going to take a GRE word list (she's taking it soon too, so we can study together) and she's bringing knitting needles, so it will be pretty nerdy. Just they way we like them. (Remember Phoenix? Yeah.)
Anyway, work starts on the cross country playlist tomorrow, which means that Lin, I'll need to know which states we're going to be going through, and I'll be accepting suggestions from the general readership of the blog for traveling songs of any kind. I think we have to include Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again," and Jackie Green's "Travelin' Song," but there are more out there, and you know them, so let's bring them all out.
Final note: watching the presidential debate tonight was a good time, as was Whitney and my brief trip to the Sego Festival on Center Street (we didn't stay too long to that - the sound quality was bad and the band was mediocre - but we did get to meet up with our new friend Cameron and his friend Demetri, so it was still fun). I'll probably post about both later, but I need to process and be more awake. I will say that my favorite thing that happened while we were watching it was Krissie announcing that one of her friends had changed her status on Facebook to something like "So and so thinks Obama's bracelet is cooler than McCain's." Hahahaha. I have no idea why they went on about that forever, but I agree.
7 comments:
I really can't tell you how awesome it is that you can help me drive out! i would be in a real fix and i'm glad i get to spend 30 hours in a car with someone i like. haha. it will be a lot of driving.
I promise your mom that you will be safe and I have driven across the country five times during various types of situations and types of weather and I'm also a very good driver AND my car has a back up camera for extra safety AND my car is not even a year old and will be checked out by a professional prior to embarking on this journey.
also, i think we will take the northern route through MD, PA, OH, IL, IN, IA, NE, WY and UT. It's the quickest route, but I'll be checking the weather reports and may go the southern route based on what's happening in Colorado and Wyoming that weekend. We should be alright since it's the middle of October but better safe than sorry. southern would take us through MD, WV, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and UT. So there you go. Like I said, I'm hoping the Northern route works out. It only has one annoying state to drive through as opposed to three.
I'll be putting together a playlist or two on my ipod as well. i think we'll be plenty covered as far as music goes.
Finally, my sister and i decided we will pick you up from the airport and take you to downtown annapolis. there's lots of fun little places to eat and a fun hat shop and a little harbor and what not. i think it's the most interesting and quick "southern maryland" experience you could have. then maybe later i'll take you to the board walk by my house, depending on what's going on.
Anyway, there's the plan. and this is a very long comment. :)
A cross country play list for a road trip with a Patten girl MUST include John Denver. Our grandparents had the 8 track and played on every road trip I can remember.
Don't worry. John Denver is always on my playlists too. Long standing Winegar tradition from way back.
I'm assuming Lindsey is referring to Wyoming when she speaks of the most annoying state to drive across in the northern route. You will want to see if you can mount some rocket launchers on top of her car for the Little America billboards all the way across the state. They are the only thing to see on I-80 in Wyoming, but you will want to blow them up before you're through.
Will start working on driving songs for your playlists. One right off the bat is "Radar Love" by Golden Earring. Also "Silver Thunderbird" by Marc Cohn. Hey, I know you're going to be in a Prius, but you can always fantasize, right? Although, I think knitting is more properly done in a Prius than a T-Bird.
Truckin' - Grateful Dead
For some reason surf music also works great for roadtrips - pick any Tarantino movie soundtrack.
Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty
Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett (see previous comment about Silver Thunderbird)
Satan is My Motor - Cake(seriously, give it a chance)
Gear Jammer - George Thorogood (you're gonna have to stay awake)
Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen (if you haven't seen the movie Canadian Bacon, you really should before leaving)
More to come.
i forgot to mention that i will be crocheting, not knitting. crocheting is the hipper form of blanket making in my opinion.
also - Satan is My Motor (as well as several other Cake songs) is already on the list - i gave it a chance a while ago and have loved it since.
John Denver and Sloop John B (Beach Boys) is on there as well.
and yes, Wyoming and Nebraska have absolutely nothing in them - bore.ing.
If you go through Nebraska you can stop and see Dafni and Brandon! Or corn, which is about the only other thing in that state. :)
Here are my song suggestions off the top of my head (assuming you go the northern route):
Ohio (Come Back to Texas), Bowling for Soup
Cleveland Rocks, Ian Hunter/the Drew Carey Show
Gary, Indiana and Iowa Stubborn from the soundtrack of The Music Man (frankly just about anything from that movie is good for a road trip, in my opinion)
More to come once I've actually spent some time on it. :)
Post a Comment