Monday, August 3, 2009

My Moving to Indiana Playlist

I've been working on this playlist for months now - pretty much since last November since I decided to go away to grad school and then was terrified about it. I'm sure that I'll continue adding to is until I go and after I move (it's a whole different set of feelings now than it was when I first decided, and I'm sure it will be different still when I move), but I thought I'd post what I've got now, and if any of you want to contribute songs, now is the time. I'm going to link the song titles to videos if I can find them, and the artist names to lyrics, just in case you want to know what's up with the song.

  • "The Resolution" by Jack's Mannequin-- This is the first song I added after I decided that it was what I needed to do even though I wasn't sure I wanted to.
  • "Feeling the Future" by Republic Tigers -- I liked the line "For you the future will be grandiose." The video doesn't really do it justice because it's a lousy live recording, but it's better than nothing.
  • "It's Only Fear" by Alexi Murdoch -- I've used this song for a lot of things in my life, but none have seemed more appropriate than this instance.
  • "Today's the Day" by Aimee Mann -- I think I sent this song to Lindsey when she moved to Utah. "Better pack your bags and run, or stay until the job is done . . ." In other words, make a decision, but do something. "And baby isn't this your chance to make a break with circumstance?" Also, the video from this one is from the movie Enough. It's what I could find. Sorry.
  • "Off I Go" by Greg Laswell -- I just found this song when Spence gave me a bunch of this guy's stuff. There's not much to it, but I love it.
  • "How We Landed" by Rogue Wave -- Oh, how I love this song. "Understanding how we landed - this could be good . . ." Sadly, I couldn't find lyrics or videos for this one. It was an exclusive track on this CD Natalie Portman put together for something or other and I guess it didn't get around enough, and I stopped looking.
  • "Red & Blazing" by Abigail Washburn -- not only is this song beautiful, it also makes me feel brave, even if it doesn't quite fit. Sadly, I couldn't find a video for this on either, but you can watch a different song of hers
  • "Where the Story Ends" by The Fray -- I think it's pretty appropriate to have a song that talks about not losing your head, being scared, and distance.
  • "Follow" by Brandi Carlile -- "Follow your heart and see where it might take you." Another lousy video, but the sound quality is pretty good, and I just decided that I really need to see her in concert.
  • "On My Own" by stellastar* -- Another one that only kind of makes sense if you listen to all of the lyrics, but if you just listen to some of them, it totally works, especially the beginning. I love this band.
  • "Darlin' Do Not Fear" by Brett Dennen -- this one is kind of in a similar vein. I know Treb hates Brett, but I really love this song. Just don't look at him too much. I tried to find a non-live version because he's annoying to watch, but alas.
  • "You Could Have It So Much Better" by Franz Ferdinand -- Not only did I just decide that I love this band, but this song is kind of great. I like the repetition of "I get up on my own," and also, "Well I refuse to be a cynical goon." Haha. If you don't believe me about Franz Ferdinand being awesome, check out the song "The Fallen." It's fabbity-fab, and I feel that I can use that to describe it without feeling bad.
  • "Still" by Ben Folds -- "It's only change, it's only everything I know . . ." Yeah. I think this one especially works given my chosen profession. "I must give the impression that I have the answers for everything." I'm not sure the lyrics version and the video versions I have match up, but both versions are good.
  • "Poses" by Rufus Wainwright -- I don't have an explanation for this song. I just feel like the mood of it matches my mood about all of this.
  • "Non, Je ne Regrette Rien" by Edith Piaf -- This song is essentially "I regret nothing." It's one of the things I remind myself when i think it would be easier to just stay and work at my job where they love me - I don't want to regret not doing it.
  • "Soon We'll Be Found" by Sia -- This song is just awesome and I wanted to claim it. It's also the coolest video in this list. I think it works.
  • "My Sundown" by Jimmy Eat World -- I'd like to thank Erin for making me aware of this song. "I see it around me, I see it in everything - I could be so much more than this." Please laugh a lot at the video I found, which is a LOTR/Harry Potter mix, but the only thing that wasn't some dumb cover of it.
  • "She's Leaving Home" by The Beatles -- just because I feel like it should be here, not because it's actually true to my life. It's a beautiful song even though it's sad.
  • "Travelin' Song" by Jackie Greene -- How many times have I posted this song? It's a lot. I just love. Sadly, couldn't find a video, so I'm posting the video of "So Hard to Find My Way" instead.
  • "Baby We'll Be Fine" by The National -- Because this song is oddly comforting to me. I think I even have it on my sidebar here. "Baby, we'll be fine. All we've gotta do is be brave and be kind." Also, "I put on an argyle sweater and put on a smile. I don't know how to do this."
  • "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey -- because I'm just that cool.
  • "Bloomington" by The Old 97s -- Just because of the name, although there are a couple of things that are funny in the lyrics in context.
  • "Librarian" by My Morning Jacket -- Because it's a great, slightly scandalous librarian song.
So there it is. I vaguely feel like I should also include The Final Countdown just because, but I won't. :)

5 comments:

Lin said...

once again, great playlist.

of course you are just that cool to have Don't Stop Believing. i'm so addicted to that song right now. and by right now i mean for the last several months. haha.

Sean and Jennie said...

I think final countdown would be very appropriate! Also I am so envious of your dedication to music and making playlists, I am just too lazy to spend the time finding new music and putting it into themed playlists.

mkgs said...

AHH i just figured out what you did when you commented about the grapes of wrath on my blog. it was so familiar but i couldn't quite get it until i was looking at it today and the phrase "FRAUGHT with PORTENT" popped into my head, and then i made the connection. hooray book-a-minute!

Brittany said...

Ummm. I love it! P.S. I deleted your email address from all of our google calendars today and it was depressing. :( I miss you! The new girl who replaced Amanda is alright, but I have no one to talk to! Lame.

Erin said...

I'm so grateful you used My Sundown. Excellent choice.