Saturday, August 29, 2009

Top 20 Classic Books for the Attention-Challenged Reader

So tonight Jason asked me to make a list of classic lit for people who don't have the attention span to get through giant books or terribly long descriptions (*cough* Hardy! *cough*). That's funny, because it definitely isn't Jason - I'm pretty sure he's read They Mayor of Casterbridge, The Count of Monte Cristo and several other quality things. However, it still sounded like a fun challenge to make a list.
For the purposes of this list, we're going to make the definition of "classic" up as we go along. I don't want to stick to stuff from the 19th century and before only, so I'm going to say that it means . . . critically acclaimed and respected books? I know that many things fall into that category, but it's my list.
  1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
  2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck (which I stand by even though it's long, because it is Steinbeck for people who don't like Steinbeck)
  3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  4. Howard's End by E.M. Forster
  5. Night by Elie Weisel
  6. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  7. 1984 by George Orwell
  8. Beowulf (Seamus Heaney translation), but you have to read it out loud or at least mouth the words to yourself. The language is the best part. 
  9.  . . .
This is much harder than I had anticipated. I might need to put this up and let some people comment before I finish it. Have I even read books? I can't seem to remember . . .

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a quick, interesting read, but I don't think it's the best book I've ever read. And I saw the movie first, so all the narrations were done in my head by Stephen Fry. :)

Megs said...

Hahaha! That's the best story ever. What a ridiculous book.

Lin said...

he may not be for everyone, but j.d. salinger would be on any classic lit list i made. i love franny and zooey.

oh. my. word. i was just researching and found Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. SEA MONSTERS! oh how i love absurd things!

Lin said...

p.s. i was in no way implying that zombies and/or sea monsters should be included in your list. the end.

Makayla Steiner said...

Since you aren't chopping contemporary stuff out of the mix, why not add Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer, to that list?

I gave it to a friend shortly after she read East of Eden (also at my recommendation).

grburbank said...

I would recommend anything by Oscar Wilde especially The Importance of Being Earnest. He's just delightful to read!

Sounds like you're adjusting quickly and well to Indiana. (That's not a proper construction is it? Oh well.) I hope my move to Seattle works out just as nicely.

Melissa said...

I would add A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It is a little wordier than some of the books you've included but it is short and wonderful.

mkgs said...

I agree with the Oscar Wilde--they go ridiculously fast because they're plays, and they're also really funny.

The Moon is Down is probably the easiest Steinbeck in existence... it's barely over a hundred pages and I read most of it while laying out by the pool a few summers ago. Plus it's really fantastic.

I don't think I agree with East of Eden being on that list... it's pretty substantial, which is why I haven't gotten around to it yet--but like you said, it's your list. :)

I actually think that Ivanhoe reads quickly and holds your attention pretty well, even though it's a fairly good sized book and the language can be hard to read. If you get it in the hardcover miniature Barnes and Noble classic edition that's $5.95, though, it doesn't look very big at all. :)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I am very tired, and rest assured that if I think of anything else I will add another comment. Yay for lists of books, I love them no matter what they are!

mkgs said...

Dang. I tried commenting from my phone earlier but I guess it didn't post.

Anyway. I also suggest The Accidental Tourist, Animal Farm, Ender's Game (since we're not excluding contemporary lit) most things by Toni Morrison, and (like I said before) plays--Cyrano de Bergerac is one of my favorites. All of them are either short or quick and engaging, and hold your attention pretty easily.

Brittany said...

Ummmm. To Kill A Mocking Bird?! Best Book Ever.