Sunday, August 30, 2009

Where Everybody Knows Your Name . . . Even When You Don't Know Theirs

So last night Jill and I went over to watch movies at the house of some guy from the branch. (Ultimately, we didn't watch movies, but it didn't seem to matter too much.) Anyway, I walked in with Jill and one of the girls said, "Oh, are you Jill's new roommate Megan from Centerville who's studying library science and has a lot in common with Ann?"
Me: (blink, blink)

It's almost creepy how they know who I am whenever I hang out with people from the branch, but it's also oddly comforting that a) Ann has told them something about me, and b) they cared. After a summer in a very liquid singles ward in C-town in which NO ONE knew I was new, but some people did start asking me after I'd been there two months, it's nice that everyone knows that I must be new because they don't recognize me, and that they want me to like it here and be friends with them.

Managed to get myself to go grocery shopping yesterday, and then was a little bugged that apparently Bloomington not only doesn't know how to set up roads logically, but also doesn't know how to set up grocery stores. WHY would you make some of the rows in a grocery story diagonal? And why would you put cheese in 3 different places? And why did the bagger think that it would be a good idea for my pasta to go into 3 different bags and my yogurt to go into 2, but for the weight distribution to still be so uneven that the bag broke just as I got to the counter?

Krogers, you may have an olive bar with hummus, but you're going to have to work to get off my bad list.

3 comments:

Sean and Jennie said...

I am so excited that you are liking it there. I miss you a lot just knowing you are so far away. It is so nice to be recognized and not just ignored as one of the dozens of new people.

Janssen said...

I love that we both talked about the grocery store right off. And glad you're loving your new location so far!

LindaW said...

that's awesome! Are you feeling a bit like Bella, cause they knew you, "the new girl." So glad you're having fun out there. Your "Edward" could be out there. Keep your eye out for the pale cute ones. Remember, it'll get gloomier as winter approaches, maybe that's when he'll come out. ;)