Saturday, September 20, 2008

Featured Favorites

This morning I got an email from Amazon that made me very sad. It was titled "Featured Favorites in Paranormal Romance." It began, "Megan, as someone who has shown an interest in romance, you might like to browse our section on paranormal romance featuring . . ."
Okay, now I realize that the reason for this is that I have preordered a few of Stephenie Meyer's novels, because how else can you get them without going to a midnight release party? When I read my more brainy books, I usually get them from used book stores or the library or Treb, so I have no need to buy them on Amazon, thus skewing my recommendations list. But I still would have preferred it if Amazon had offered me a selection of, say, new books of postcolonial criticism, or new translations of obscure novels by Russian novelists. Instead I, captain in the fight against romance addiction, get recommendations for "Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kresley Cole, Anna Windsor, and more."
Sigh.

5 comments:

Miri said...

I am VERY proud to say that I have never heard of any of those authors. Phew!

Drew said...

Ouch... I would hate to say you asked for it, but I better not, since I have similar recommendation lists from other such websites. Yike! I guess amazon doesn't REALLY know you that well.

HA, "paranormal romance"...

Makayla Steiner said...

I have never heard of any of those authors either. My current "recommendation" list includes philosophy books, stuff on primitivism, and African-American lit. Can you tell which classes I've taken lately??? :)

Melissa said...

I do like them Apples, I believe at one point or another both me and my parents would have loved for both Jordan and Wecker to become my husband, especially my dad! They are great guys and both were in my stake, a year older than me. They are awesome guys! Tell them I said hello and hope they are doing well!

Melissa said...

P.S. Isn't Ricky Gervais amazing? I love The Office on the BBC and Extras, their is nothing better than Extras!