Saturday, September 20, 2008

Prostituting my fluids and other stories

Some things that are great:
  • I am now officially a member of the plasma donation program! I have a sweet $30 in my pocket and all it took was an hour in a chair watching some ridiculous movie and talking to Mallory. Unless you count the physical that I had because it was my first time - there were a lot of firsts if you add the physical in there. Anyway, I'm going back on Wednesday. My dad isn't excited about it because he thinks that people who donate plasma are all drug addicts and homeless people, but since they checked me all over for drug use (the back of my knees, between my toes . . .) and made me bring proof of residency, I think we're fine. Since I have awesome veins and no qualms about needles, we're golden. (By the way, if you want in on the action, let me know, because I get $10 if I refer someone who donates twice. Just so you know.)
  • I have now watched all of the ShakepeaRe-told movies except the one I'm most excited about, which I'm saving to watch with Krissie. (Mmm . . . James McAvoy, Richard Armitage and sweet, sweet murder in the kitchen.) I liked the others, although Much Ado About Nothing remains the best of the so fars.
  • Have I mentioned how excited I am that Lindsey is moving back here? Because I am A LOT excited about that.
  • I started a couple of books because I'm stuck on the one I'm reading now, plus I joined an extra book club and need some award winning books to talk about next month. I'm looking at A Confederacy of Dunces and Disgrace. So far, so good.
  • Treb requested a playlist this morning, a thing that always makes me happy. I may be crap at getting jobs, but let's be honest - when it comes to having songs for every occasion, I am still the queen. :)
  • Saw the Mo Tab with the Utah Symphony tonight, and it was a good time. Looked in the program at some of the upcoming Utah Symphony performances and wished I had more money or a very culturally-minded boyfriend with money so that I could go and hear the upcoming Stravinsky and Mahler and Benjamin Britten that are all part of Keith Lockhart's last season, not to mention Madame Butterfly, which I want to see despite Whitney giving it the one negative review I've heard her give any opera (because Madame Butterfly took too long to die). Maybe I'll just see Don Giovanni at BYU instead. Sigh.
  • One week until debate night! Whitney and I are so excited that I'm surprised we haven't made a count down chain. Maybe during the debate we'll make a countdown to election day. In any case, there will be a debate night party, complete with some kind of food goodness TBD.
  • Erin texted me in the library the other day to tell me that she had something amazing for me. I've learned to believe Erin when she says this (remember the "You Are the Greatest" medal?) so I went and found her when I got to my shelving hour. It was a button from the Orca grant people. It said "Fab." It's currently on my wall. Of course.
  • This video:
I think that's it for now. Happy weekend, and go BYU against Wyoming.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm impressed that you made it four years through BYU without becoming a plasma whore. I started my first year, did it twice a week. It was like a part time job for me. I have three scars (because I have awesome blood taking veins so they could pretty much jab anywhere. I also could do it in about 17 minutes. That was the record. Adam also hated Madame Butterfly because she took too long to die. He saw it in the Sydney Opera house and when she FINALLY died he started clapping while others around him were crying. He thought she'd accomplished something lol.

Lin said...

i love that video. and NPH (as my sister calls him). and your excitement (along with others) is part of what is making it a little easier to make this move...especially after spending the day with my nephews.

can't wait to get there!

Katherine said...

I read Disgrace over the summer. Let me know what you think of it. (If you want more Coetzee, I love love love The Life and Times of Michael K.)