Last week I got an email from the edited movie company that has been "going out of business" since the legislation against such organizations passed. They offered me a coupon for 50% off my purchase because over the summer I had tried to order several movies while their payment functions on the site were down, and eventually we ordered all of those movies through Jason McGee's account, so I didn't need more of them. However, they have been in my cart since that time, and apparently the good people at this place want to add those movies to their ever decreasing (then why do they have new releases?) inventory.I deleted the items in my cart, but I have been wanting to see The English Patient since I read the book last spring, and I found a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for $6 and figured it was my chance to see Kenneth Branagh as a mad scientist. I went to place my order with my coupon, but it didn't work! I tried again (which was frustrating, because I was at home using my parents' dialup when I remembered that the coupon expired) but to no avail! I thought maybe I'd read the coupon wrong and started writing an apologetic but hopeful e-mail, but when I reread it I saw that it really should have been good for a few more hours. I rewrote the e-mail and asked them very nicely to give me back half of my money (because I placed the order anyway, thinking that they'd know I really had placed the order in time).
Today I got the following amazing e-mail:
Dear Megan,
It seams the site shut off the coupon at midnight eastern time, by mistake.However,the coupon will be working for 2 days more.
Robin,as part of our Friends and Family Promotion, we would like to give you a free DVD! For every three people that you refer and makes a purchase with Family Focus Films you will receive at last one free DVD of your choice. It is simple! Just tell them to put your name or email into the "Referred by" field when they are creating their account.
Regards,Lorena Gramática
Aside from some awesome disagreement and some very interesting comma usage, there are two things about this that I would particularly like you to notice (so that I can make fun of them). It seams that they're spell chequer is knot quite write for this sit chew eh shun, and it also seams that halfway through the e-mail they forgot that my name is not Robin, lovely as that name is. Finally, note the fine representative's last name. I don't know what that actually means, but under the circumstances, it seemed (seamed?) a bit ironic.
(Disclaimer: I am not making fun of non-native English speakers. I'm making fun of inattentive grammar in a business e-mail. Actually, it wouldn't have surprised me to receive an e-mail like this from several native speakers that I know. I realize that it is probably politically incorrect to criticize someone's English on my blog. However, since they didn't even take the time to make sure they were sending their "special offer" to the same person whose problem they didn't fix, I don't actually feel that bad, because clearly this e-mail was not the result of a great deal of time and consideration. Thank you.)
I replied and pointed out that, as I actually placed the order on Saturday, what I needed was a refund, not a new coupon.
I got another e-mail this afternoon refunding my $8.46.
3 comments:
Well, Robin, those people are just trying to sell illegal DVDs like crazy. Over the summer, I told them my copy of Bridget Jones Diary never worked, so I asked for another copy. They told me that the DVD was no longer in stock (don't they just have a master that they make a million copies off anyway???) and that they would give me three free DVDs. Those people are just trying to make friends, eh?
But I am glad they refunded you. Very exciting to have edited DVDs.
i pretty much love that they called you Robin. that write their made it hilarious. ;)
deer megan,
thank ewe four posting such one dur full things fore you're snobby friends two make fun off. wee our all ways ready too laugh at pee pull's stew pidity.
yore room eight,
mieerieey.
Post a Comment